Marketing/Perspective Management

What is the need for an effective management? Explain.

What   are  The   benefits  of  an effective management

Well-trained managers can help you grow your small business.
Effective leadership is a vital element of small-business operations. A manager who understands the best ways to train and supervise his small-business staff is better positioned to run his team efficiently, resulting in greater productivity for his company. Providing comprehensive and effective training to your managers and supervisors is an investment that can pay off for your business in both tangible and intangible ways.
Productive Staff
When you effectively train your managers, you better position them to train their own staff members. A knowledgeable workforce that is fully aware of their own job responsibilities as well as your expectations is a high-functioning unit that provides superior service to your customers. Managers with trained staffs are more efficient in the performance of their job duties and are less likely to make costly errors that can result in decreased revenue.
Effective Motivators
A well-trained manager is confident in his role and has the ability to motivate staffers to perform to the best of their abilities. Small work environments require cohesive teamwork and cooperation, and effective managers can elicit top performance from employees through motivation. Different types of motivation can be achieved through positive feedback, performance reviews and efficient conflict-resolution techniques.
Increased Productivity
Well-trained managers are able to set realistic goals, develop strategic work plans and make decisions quickly. This can increase the effectiveness with which your business is run. It also helps the manager gain the respect of his employees and colleagues, which can create a stronger and more cohesive work dynamic. Happy staffers who know what they are doing and why they are doing it are more likely to be satisfied with their jobs, resulting in decreased turnover.
Reduced Workplace Conflict
Workplace conflict can arise when people are unsure of their roles or their duties, where there is a significant lack of communication and where problem-solving abilities are non-existent. Effectively trained managers are adept at employee relations, dispute mediation and in running a positive and focused workplace. A manager with good interpersonal skills can help increase understanding between colleagues and smooth out workplace misunderstandings.
Greater Profitability
Effective management training prepares managers for the day-to-day reality of running a business. When a manager understands the best practices for approaching both common and uncommon workplace events and issues, he is better situated to handle them effectively. This has the associated advantage of increased earnings and decreased cost and liability to the business owner.

What is the need for an effective management

To be effective, managers must do two things well: (1) achieve their targets and (2) make the best possible use of all resources. The second criterion is complex and needs to be examined closely.
First of all, we need to recognize that management has a vital role to play. Since the early 1980s, management has had a bad image. Managers are described as controlling, lacking in creativity and task oriented. Conversely, leaders are seen as path breaking, inspiring and people oriented.
We need to dispel this image by recognizing how it arose. When the Japanese started to be successful in the West during the 1970s, there was a great hue and cry to replace managers with leaders. Previously, we talked about management styles such as people oriented versus task oriented, but now leadership was handed the good guy styles and management was condemned to the bad guy role.
Management Upgraded
We need to restore management to its rightful place alongside leadership as a driver of organizational success. Management can be defined as achieving goals in a way that makes best use of all resources. Management is not just the territory of managers. Employees manage themselves when they take an MBA to develop their career or invest money for their retirement. They also need to manage their time and talent to get their work done effectively.
Management is value neutral: even criminals can manage well. It is also style neutral. Effective managers tailor their style to the situation. Managers have more resources than other employees but the process of management is the same. It’s about getting things done in a way that adds the most value or achieves results in the most efficient manner. Managers, not just leaders, need to be good with people.
Getting the Most Out of Yourself
Management, like investment, is about achieving the best return on money, people, time, or other resources. Effective managers challenge themselves regularly with questions such as the following:
•   What is the best use of my time today?
•   How can I add the most value in this situation?
•   What is a better way of getting this task done?
•   How can I make better use of the people reporting to me?
•   How can I achieve greater profitability?
•   How can I get greater mileage out of my partners?
•   How can I make better use of my boss’s talent and time?
•   What 20% of my efforts are yielding 80% of my output?
It is easy to get caught up in busy-work without analyzing whether we are getting the best return on our time, experience and talent. The urgent takes priority over the important, so we aren’t as strategic about ourselves as we need to be.
We would regularly review our financial investments to get the best return on our money. Why not on all resources at our disposal?
Getting the Most Out of Others
The key to managing employees effectively can be simply stated as helping them meet their needs in a way that also meets the organization’s. This way of putting it zeroes in on the needs of individual employees and how to align them with business goals.
Questions to assess effectiveness in getting the most out of people include:
•   What potential does this person have that is not fully realized?
•   Am I doing too much for employees, spoon-feeding them?
•   Am I challenging them to think for themselves as much as I could?
•   Am I doing enough to foster ownership in others?
•   Am I doing enough asking or am I mainly telling and selling?
•   Who can I expose this person to for development purposes?
•   What tasks would most develop this person?
•   How can I measure this person’s developmental improvements?
•   How well am I enabling these employees to manage if I weren’t here?
These questions should encourage managers to see themselves as catalysts, facilitators, enablers and developers of others. Too many managers want employees who are sufficiently competent and motivated that they only have to manage by exception, to jump on mistakes. Wanting to focus on “more interesting” work indicates a preference to DO things rather than wanting to manage.
The popular book, First, Break all the Rules, says that effective managers make sure that employees know what is expected of them. But this advice is too simplistic for all employees. It is appropriate for new employees and those whose work is not very knowledge-intensive. The risk of telling employees clearly what is expected of them is that they might limit themselves to these guidelines, thus not take much initiative, not think for themselves and not feel enough ownership for their work.
More experienced employees, especially those in knowledge-intensive roles, should be encouraged to think like independent businesses, thus constantly searching for other ways of adding value for their internal customers, especially their manager. Getting employees to think for themselves is essential if they are to manage successfully in your absence or to feel a comparable degree of ownership to that which you feel.
The metaphor of the organization-as-person means that the “head” thinks and the “hands” do. Managers who do too much thinking for their employees will have nothing but “hands” who don’t do much thinking for themselves. If in doubt, always try asking employees: “What do you think?”

For many entrepreneurs, the last thing you want to worry about (or do) is managing. You want to get out there and meet customers and create awesome products and bring exciting new opportunities through your front door. But unless you’ve hired a management team to take on the task of managing your people, then you’re still on the hook.
The good news is that you can make that task a little bit easier for yourself by remembering these 7 essential management keys, and your organization will benefit as a direct result.
1. Delegate Wisely
The key to management success is to learn to effectively delegate both the responsibility for completing assignments and the authority required to get things done. Many entrepreneurs feel that they need to control every little thing that their employees do. This is a recipe for disaster. When you delegate work to employees, you multiply the amount of work you can accomplish while you develop your employees’ confidence, leadership and work skills.
2. Set Goals
Every employee needs goals to strive for. Not only do goals give employees direction and purpose, but they ensure that your employees are working towards the overall organizational goals. Set specific and measurable goals with your employees, then regularly monitor their progress toward achieving them.
3. Communicate
Far too many managers communicate far too little. It's often difficult for busy business owners and executives to keep their employees up-to-date on the latest organizational news. Regardless, you must make every effort to get employees the information they need to do their jobs quickly and efficiently.
4. Make Time for Employees
Above all, managing is a people job. When an employee needs to talk with you--whatever the reason--make sure that you set aside the time to do so. Put your work aside for a moment, put down your smartphone, and focus on the person standing in front of you.
5. Recognize Achievements
Every employee wants to do a good job. And when they do a good job, employees want recognition from their bosses. Unfortunately, few bosses do much in the way of recognizing and rewarding employees for a job well done. The good news is that there are many things bosses can do to recognize employees that cost little or no money, are easy to implement, and that take only a few minutes to accomplish.

No matter how difficult the problem, there is always a quick solution, and entrepreneurs are happiest when they are devising solutions to problems. The trouble is that, in our zeal to fix things quickly and move on to the next fire, we often overlook the lasting solution that may take longer to develop. Although it’s more fun to be a firefighter, the next time you have a problem to solve in your organization, deal with the cause of the problem instead of simply treating the symptoms.
7. Don't Take It Too Seriously
Without a doubt, owning a company is serious business. Products and services must be sold and delivered, and money must be made. Despite the gravity of these responsibilities, successful managers make their organizations fun places to work. Instead of having employees who look for every possible reason to call in sick or to arrive to work late or go home early, managers whose organizations have fun end up with an energized workforce that works hard and plays hard.  

Leo Lingham

I can answer questions on marketing, marketing planning, product management, advertising, sales promotions, sales planning, merchandising, direct marketing, and sales management.