Marriage/Marriage

Question
I'll try to keep this as short as I can.  My husband and I have been married for 6 years and have 1 child together.  He is a decent provider and father, but shows no interest in me at all.  I stay at home with our child, which we both agreed is best for us.  I do all the housework, cooking, taking care of our finances, childcare, etc.  I always make sure he has clean clothes, nutritious meals, and whatever else he needs.  He never asks me if I need help with anything, how my day has been, never compliments me, never shows me any token of affection.  I have told him in the past how it makes me feel, and he says he is sorry I feel that way and leaves it at that.  I try to keep it together for our child's sake, but I don't know how much longer I can stand this.  I would appreciate any advice you have for me.  I have asked him to go to counseling, but he refuses.

Answer
Your situation is very painful and rejecting. If your husband won't join you in counseling, I urge you to go to counseling yourself. Also read my article on my website, www.whatiscodependency.com/blog, "Breaking-Up: Should You Leave or Can You Get the Love You Want." It outlines how you should approach this problem with your husband. Complaining or nagging won't be effective. You need to be more assertive, and the books on my website can help you. You can also go to a CoDA meeting for codependents or take an assertiveness class. Read my article on emotional unavailability, which describes your husband. Therapy will help you uncover why you would accept his coldness and be treated like a servant. The bottom line is that you have to start changing yourself before your marriage can change. I'm sure this isn't the answer you expected, but it's the truth. Best wishes to you.
Darlene Lancer, MFT

Marriage

Darlene Lancer