Marriage/Marriage

Question
My bf and I have been dating for the past 4 years. We both thought it was time to tell our parents. His parents have been really supportive of the whole thing. My mother on the other hand is finding it hard to deal with. I know there is no issue on which she can say that I have made a bad choice since my bf is very well educated and earns very well. According to her the problem is that his family isn't financially well off i.e. they do not have money which can be inherited. She says she would want me to get married in a family where they have some amount of money to be inherited by the family. I really don't think this is a reason for me to break up with someone or not consider him suitable for the future. Please tell me how to convince my mother about the following situation. Other than this there has been nothing wrong which she has been able to find in my bf. Please help.

Answer
Hello Lovita - I don't know your cultural rules about parental approval for marriage. Unless "tradition" prevents it, my opinion is you have the right to choose your own life partner regardless of your mother's concern. I would hope she would value your marital happiness in the coming years more than her hope you will be financially comfortable when your partner's parents die. The world economy is unpredictable, so even if his parents were well off, that's no guarantee of a sizable bequest some unknown year in the future. "Money cannot buy happiness." Here is some perspective on the values difference you and your Mother have:

http://sfhelp.org/relate/vc.htm

In general, here are some courtship cautions you two should consider:  

http://sfhelp.org/relate/mates/danger.htm

I hope you partners can find long-lasting happiness together, Lovita - Pete

Marriage

Peter Gerlach, MSW