Marriage/divorce with unborn baby?

Dear David

I am a 34 y old male. 12 years ago I married for the first time, got divorced after 5 years with a little girl who is now 8. My first wife was and still is a manipulative person who used my daughter against me many times to get at me, even though it was she who wanted a divorce to be with her ex-boyfriend (which proved to be a false hope anyway).

I was single for 4 years, then I married again, this time to a girl suggested by my family (my first choice was against their wish). She is 31, engaged to be married once, and has a history of problems within her family which I did not know about at the time, namely her father who was a dominating and irresponsible person in her life. Her fiance turned out to be no better, leaving her stranded for four years before finally calling the marriage off.

As it has turned out, apparently she married me because her father and family kind of forced her to and she accepted also due to my insistence. I have to say I fell in love with her very soon and was very reluctant to let go of her, she seemed such a decent and kind soul. Anyway my ex-wife proved to be a problem in this marriage, taunting her and planning schemes through my daughter to irritate her at every turn. Unfortunately my family augmented this problem by stupidily trying to dominate her by saying my ex-wife was better than her and focusing a lot on my daughter.

So in spite of all the support I did offer her, she has been asking for a divorce for a long time. At first I resisted but when I saw her anxieties were slowly eating her from inside, I agreed. Problem was I could not afford to give her sufficient financial support after the divorce so it was delayed several times and every time I thought she had refrained and come to her senses but I was wrong. In the middle of all this crisis she got pregnant. Now she insists that I let her keep the child but let her go at the same time, so that she could give birth and raise the child alone without him/her ever knowing about the father. I am worried about this child's future in this way, I would prefer an abortion and divorce but I am afraid of the terrible emotional strain and scar this act would have on her, as she loves to have a child (even to the point of wanting to be a single parent in a strange city with no suitable means of income). I dont know what to do. Is an abortion is the way to go? Or should I let her go with the child as she wishes? Please help me as I am at my wits' end...

Dear Mehdi,

Let's get to the heart of the matter. Divorce and abortion Is not the solution. All marriages and children are sacred. Couples must learn to interact responsibly. That is difficult with the changing social climate. I would recommend counseling Mehdi. I know your scared but you need to work this out. Don't let your marriage become another divorce statistic. Fight for unity and convalescence in your marriage. Seek a marriage counselor for help.

David Drake DeLaurentos, MS

All questions can be answered as long as the inquirer is willing to assess him or her self and be willing to make an informed decision. I will offer suggestions if its a broad question; however, should one provide a specific question, the a tailored answer will be offered. I'm here to help and am willing to walk you through any marital situation you may have.

I have bee married and divorced. I have a family of six which two of my children are from previous spouses. I have been a mediator, hostage negotiator and handle many family crisis situations from verbal abuse to physical attacks. All have been resolved amicably because I am willing to listen which is a major component in any resolution. I have been assisting and facilitating various culturals dealing with marriages for over 20 years.

I belong to various criminal and associated fields in one way or another related to the family foundation.

My publishings and recommendations for family, juvenile and criminal field have appeared in many judicial fields.

I have a Masters in Criminal Forensic Psychology and over twenty years of marital mediation and family solutions.

I was a decorated officer and received many commendations in the law enforcement and civil service field.

My past and current clients are strictly confidential.