Marriage/cousin marriage

Question
I LIVE IN INDIA,I BELONG TO CHRISTIAN FAMILY WOULD LIKE TO GET MARRIED WITH MY FATHER'S BROTHER DAUGHTER(cousin), PLEASE LET ME KNOW IS THIS POSSIBLE IF WE DO THIS AS PER LAW, LET ME KNOW ABOUT INDIAN MARRIAGE ACT AND INDIAN MARRIAGE ACT

Answer
Re:  Cousin Marriage

Hi Nelson,

I would suggest you talk to a family law attorney where you live.

Here in the United States, for instance, every state has its own laws about Family Marriage.  

Cousin marriage is permitted by some states and not permitted by others.

And each state may further restrict cousin marriage.  For example, Some states allow cousins who cannot have children together to be married and those that can have children together cannot be married.

And of course all jurisdictions regulate the ages of people getting married.

By the way, research has shown that all things being equal, cousins do not have a higher risk of children with birth defects than non-cousins.

Marriage is just the first step, what about being happy and staying together?

We live in a society with other people.  What about family, social and religious influences?  Societal approval or disapproval can affect a marriage.

Wishing you the best of luck,
John Silver, PhD

Marriage

Dr. John Silver