Marriage/troubled marriage

I have been married 13 years and have 2 children ages 11 and 8. My husband had a bad accident 2 years ago and is still healing. He also has a bad addiction to pain medication. He has a hard time working and we ate in a bad financial situation. He has canceled necessary surgery twice and is just not on the ball in trying to fix the situation. He has always been a little controlling and it seems to be getting worse. Last week I gave one of his mother's male friends a ride home because she asked me to and he reacted by slamming his truck into my car badly wrecking both of our vehicles. It was supposedly an accident, but it definitely happened because he was angry and out of control. I don't really want to give up on my marriage but I can't raise 2 kids and carry him too. I need to know when enough is enough. What do I do?

You need to get to a place of safety while your figure out your marital relationship. This is something that he could have been arrested for. Your children need to be in a safe place as well as you. It seems from what you describe things are slowly escalating and you need to protect your kids.  

Dr. David Simonsen

I can answer all types of questions related to Marital issues. I will tell you straight what I think your challenge is and ideas on how to get through it.

You want someone who has the training, experience and knowledge to answer your questions. That person is me. I meet weekly with married couples and work with them through the challenging issues that come up in marriages.

B.A. M.S. Marriage & Family Therapy; Ph.D. Psychology