Martial Arts/Some Questions about Styles

Hello. I currently have a lot of time on my hands and have been looking to start studying one of the martial arts. It's been an interest for years, I just hadn't the chance before. I was wondering if you could possibly point me in the right direction. I am quite ignorant to all of this.

I suppose the main factors that I'm seeking in a martial art is a balance of philosophy as well as self defense. Where every movement has meaning, as well as a lot of action, and these are rooted in more complex forms of thought and ideas. I tend to be a philosophical person, and love things such as science and psychology. I also tend to think too much at times, and have a great deal of anxiety. I would love to find a martial art that would satiate my contemplative mind, as well as give me plenty of action so that I'm not too drawn into my thoughts.

If it would help, I'm 25, relatively smaller-built and I don't have a lot of physical strength. I am also on a budget.

I appreciate your answer, thank you for taking the time to read my question.

Hi Janelle,

Thank you for your patience.  It is good to hear that you have time to invest in stuyding a martial art.

It is ideal to practice an art where the student can make the applied and the philosophical aspects of the art a way of life.

Many styles have a philosophical side to them.  Not all teachers emphasize this aspect, either because of ignorance and/or lack of student interest.  Students who are interested in an art's philosophy can deepen their understanding by reading good books on the respective martial art.  I believe that knowing the philosophy can make a big and positive difference in learning and applying the art.

Soft styles, such as Taiqi, Hsing-I, BaGua, and Aikido tend to be more philosophical.  These type of styles rely on using the other person's strength against the opponent by yielding, blending, and recycling energy instead on relying on a student's brute strength.  Aikido and Taiqi schools are the easiest to find out of the four styles.

Wing Chun (aka Wing Tsun, etc.) was arguably developed by a woman.  A good teacher understands  and teaches the soft aspect of this art, particularly to those students who are smaller in stature and/or are seniors.    

I wish you the best in your quest for a martial art style. I recommend that you try them out and see what works for you.

Martial Arts

Eric Jue

Can answer questions regarding Jeet Kune Do (JKD), Filipino Martial Arts, Wing Chun Gung Fu, self defense, differences between martial art styles, and instructor referrals in Southern California

2012 - Present: Personal Safety Ministry Founder, Organizer, & Coach - Evergreen SGV 2008 - Present: Founder and Instructor, Orange County Jeet Kune Do Academy, Orange County, CA 2008 - 2010: Jeet Kune Do and Filipino Kali Instructor at the South Bay Jeet Kune Do Academy

Bay Mountain Martial Arts, Whipping Willow Association

Associate Instructor, Jeet Kune Do under David Cheng Associate Instructor, Filipino Kali under David Cheng Basic Instructor and Group Leader, Modified Pangamut Filipino Martial Arts (FMA) under Marc Lawrence Instructor, Arnis De Mano FMA under Marc Lawrence Instructor, Chi Fung under Leo Fong Instructor, Wing Chun Kung Fu under Leung Ting Lineage, Wing Chun Judge, 2014 Tempt One Martial Art Championships

Double Silver Medalist in Filipino Martial Arts - Long Beach Internationals

2010 South Bay Filipino Martial Arts Club - Co-led a one day workshop with instructors of three other arts 2010 Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. - Organized and hosted a self defense workshop lead by an external instructor 2006, 2012 Evergreen San Gabriel Valley (SGV) Church - Led Self Defense and Filipino Martial Arts Workshops