Martial Arts/Krav Maga

Question
Hello Mr. Casto

For some time now, I have been researching Krav Maga and have thought about practicing it, but it seems to get mixed reviews with some calling it the most effective form of self-defense out there and others saying that it's a marketing scheme.

It is often said to be taught to the Israeli Defense Forces though I am guessing that there is a difference in curriculum between soldiers and civilians, especially civilians in another country.

Are you familiar with Krav Maga and if so what is your verdict on it?

Thank you.

Answer
Well, in general, anyone who says that anything is the "best" or "most" or whatever is definitely trying to sell you something. Regardless of what they're touting. Doesn't mean it's not good. It just means they're using subjective & hyperbolic language to try to trigger an emotional reaction and lure people in with the words instead of the content. Sometimes it's because the content is lacking. Sometimes it's just because a marketer wrote the text and it has nothing to do with the content one way or another.

Ultimately, a system might be the "best" for you but no one can tell you that. You have to figure it out on your own.

I don't know if there's a different curriculum or not between soldiers & civilians.

I have seen some Krav Maga. What I saw was good. Not unique but good. What I saw didn't have a lot of focus on proper technique, it was more about moving and hitting. That may have been *just* what I saw, though. Other classes (that I didn't see) may have focused more on infrastructure like body mechanics and footwork, etc. I don't know.

That's about all I've got.

I'd recommend that you go take some classes. If you like it and it excites you then stick with it. If not then look for something that does.

Martial Arts

Mike Casto