Martial Arts/Krav Maga: Real or Hype?

Hello Mr. Fossett

I was wondering if you were at all familiar with the Israeli self defense system Krav Maga and what your view of it was.

I have been doing some research on it and some seem to think it is the real deal and others think it is just a fad or a marketing scam.

That depends 100% on the teacher.

Krav can be good if it's taught well. Or it can be terrible if it's taught poorly.

Calling a martial art a "scam" is basically meaningless. A lot of martial artists like to talk about which arts are better than others or will say that all other arts are scams or stupid. Usually, these people are not very intelligent.

Sure, most commercial entities (such as martial arts schools) use hype. What you have to determine for yourself is, in this particular case, is the school you're considering joining going to live up to its hype.

Martial Arts

Andy Fossett

I can answer most questions relating to the martial arts in general. My special interests relate not only to martial theory, but to training methodology, teaching, sports science, and personal growth through martial arts training. If you are thinking about beginning a martial arts practice or have questions about how to optimize you current training to meet you goals, just let me know.

I have been involved with martial arts for most of my life. Since 1984, I have practiced and taught a martial art called Taido in America and Japan, and have participated in events all over the world. I began assistant teaching as a teenager and founded the Georgia Tech Taido Club in 1996. I have been training actively in Japan since 2003. In addition to Taido, I have previously studied Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jutsu, Shotokan Karate, Kaikudo, and a few other things.

GMB Fitness, Japan Taido Association

Taido/Blog, the Finnish Taido Association's "Kamae" magazine, World Taido Federation Homepage and "Taido Times" magazine, GMB Fitness.

BA Sociology

5dan Renshi (5th degree black belt instructor) in Taido.