Masonry/Brick Laying/winter brick laying

I live in the UK where the winter temperature seldom gets much actually below freezing point, unlike Canada. I have a memory of many years ago while building in the winter we added a dash of Anti Freeze to the mix.However what is your recommendation for winter bricklaying in near to freezing point temperatures? and is the mix still 3 to 1?

Drew Herdman

Thank you Andrew for your question.

My recommendations for winter brick laying is to not necessarily add other products such as Anti Freeze to the mortar, for it can cause damage to the mortar joint in the future and can also cause unwanted ranges of color as well.

I don't know if you intend to only repair a few bricks, or if you intend to install a brand new brick wall, if that is the case, when installing the scaffolds, do cover with polythene (as in building a big tent)and provide appropriate heating up to 15 to 20 Celsius. This is a wonderful system, since your building products will be dry, and the mortar will be at the right temperature. Let dry overnight wall by wall, and your installation will be done according to code.

For the mortar mix, your are right, one part cement mortar (ex.:66 pound bag) and three parts sand is the correct mix.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Joan Miller

Masonry/Brick Laying

Joan Miller

Bricks and Stones have always been my passion. There are thousands of products to choose from and to learn about. If you need to know the specifics about bricks and stones, I will be more than happy to answer any questions about the masonry world as in how it is made, how to install it, specifications and quality.

I have been employed by brick and stone distributors for the past 25 years, meaning I have access to all sorts of information provided by the manufacturers that enables me to guide homebuilders and architects to make the best choice for their projects.

Masonry Specialist. Commercial and Industrial specialty.

Major Homebuilders, Masonry Contractors, Architects.