Masonry/Brick Laying/brick glueing

Question
QUESTION: Hello-
I am preparing to lay a brick walkway that will require many of the clay bricks to be cut on angles (the walkway is curved). The bricks, (standard 4"x 8"x 2 1/4") will be laying flat on the wide side, not on their edges, so I will be making the cut either across the wide side or along its length. Will a wet saw be adequate for this project, since I am using a soft clay brick instead of a concrete brick? I have a  7" Ridgid R4030 with a maximum depth cut to 2 1/4".

ANSWER: Thank you for your question Kathy.

A wet saw is a very practical tool that bricklayers use on the job sites that I visit. They use it for either clay brick or concrete brick.

I am not an expert on tool brands, but it would be safe to check with the manufacturer of your saw just to double check on performance. After doing some checking up on the Home Depot and Rigid web site, seems to me that you do have the right tool, as long as you don't surpass the maximum depth cut. I also have one customer who owns a similar tool (Dewalt), he recently cut concrete tiles that are 16" x 16" x 2" and the job went fine.

I also highly recommend that you wear gloves and eye protection while you are cutting your pavers.

I hope that this helps. Good luck with your project.

Best regards,

Joan Miller

QUESTION: I am cutting clay brick in 4"x 8"x 1/4" to 1/2" thick strips to use around the inside edge of a pond. One of the long sides are "glued" with Liquid Nails to the underside of the overlapping brick edge of the patio that surrounds the pond. I use clamps for about 24 hours or more and they seem to hold throughout the summer and winter before many of them let go around springtime. I live in Washington state where it doesn't get too cold but we definitely have a ton of rain. Is there another product that you know of that will hold these bricks in place better?

Answer
Hello Kathy,

Using Liquid Nails is not the appropriate product to glue clay bricks, especially for the out doors. That product is mostly used to glue wood pieces together and is recommended for interior use.

I would like to recommend two solutions for your project. The first is to seek advice from your local hardware store (ex. Home Depot)to recommend a glue especially used for concrete/clay pavers. Landscape artists often use this product to glue together stone, or decorative concrete blocks. It is also weather resistant.

The other solution is to lay your pavers on a compacted surface and set them together with a masonry joint, which is also weather resistant and gives a very classic/decorative look as well.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Joan Miller

Masonry/Brick Laying

Joan Miller