Masonry/Brick Laying/To Seal or Not to Seal

We recently had a patio installed with Pennsylvania Bluestone.  I have read conflicting articles online regarding sealing the stone.  Should I seal the stone?  If so, what sealer would you recommend.
Thx, Bill in Connecticut

Thank you for your question Bill.

For your information, Bluestone is a high quality sandstone, quarried around New York and Pennsylvania, commercially known as Pennsylvania Bluestone. It is commonly used as an architectural stone or a landscaping product.

Bluestone may be a dense stone, but it is still porous. It is important to seal Bluestone if you want it to continue looking good for a long period of time.

To maintain the look and slip resistance of the Bluestone, it is important to use a high quality, invisible, impregnating sealer.

I would like to recommend PROSOCO products. I have often used these products in Canada, hopefully they may be available in a location near you. Please refer to their website to find local distributors. You may want to look at the following products:

Deep Sheen
Durable protective treatment adds beauty and blocks weather and stain attack on concrete, clay and most stone pavers.

Deep Sheen WB
Durable, water-borne treatment adds beauty and blocks weather and stain attack on concrete, clay & most stone pavers.

One you have the chance to meet your local specialist, they will offer you all the information with regards to the installation and use of these products.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Joan Miller  

Masonry/Brick Laying

Joan Miller

Bricks and Stones have always been my passion. There are thousands of products to choose from and to learn about. If you need to know the specifics about bricks and stones, I will be more than happy to answer any questions about the masonry world as in how it is made, how to install it, specifications and quality.

I have been employed by brick and stone distributors for the past 25 years, meaning I have access to all sorts of information provided by the manufacturers that enables me to guide homebuilders and architects to make the best choice for their projects.

Masonry Specialist. Commercial and Industrial specialty.

Major Homebuilders, Masonry Contractors, Architects.