Masonry/Brick Laying/Bricks Faded

I bought a red brick house built 1950. It had white plastic shutters screwed into the sides of two windows. I removed the shutters, but now have a slightly lighter color where the shutters were. It's not terrible, but definitely noticeable. I sort of expected it to be darker if anything as it's been protected from the elements somewhat. Is there any fix to this problem? Thanks

Thank you for your question Roger.

The bricks behind the shutters have been protected from the sun and rain, therefore having practically remained as its original state as when they were installed. For the exposed walls, it is normal that the bricks slightly changes color with time since they have exposed to different weather conditions.

One way to try to even this out, you may want to try pressure washing the walls. You should not use any more than 1000 PSI as you can change the appearance of the brick with high pressure. If you have a hot water power washer, this alone may be sufficient for your brick cleaning.

If you are using cold water, you should add a brick cleaner to the process. Please refer to your local brick and stone distributor for a recommended product. I often recommend Sure Klean products from PROSOCO. If you can find  Enviro Klean ReVive (formerly Bio Wash), this product will remove atmospheric soiling that your brick has been exposed to. Please click on the following link to obtain more information:

I hope this information helps and good luck with your project.

Best Regards,

Joan Miller

Masonry/Brick Laying

Joan Miller

Bricks and Stones have always been my passion. There are thousands of products to choose from and to learn about. If you need to know the specifics about bricks and stones, I will be more than happy to answer any questions about the masonry world as in how it is made, how to install it, specifications and quality.

I have been employed by brick and stone distributors for the past 25 years, meaning I have access to all sorts of information provided by the manufacturers that enables me to guide homebuilders and architects to make the best choice for their projects.

Masonry Specialist. Commercial and Industrial specialty.

Major Homebuilders, Masonry Contractors, Architects.