Mass Production Cooking/Recipe Serving Calculator

LJMaddox wrote at 2013-07-01 19:28:43
This recipe was given to my mother by a dear friend. I use pre-packaged slaw mix that has the carrots already in it and just add the onions. Also, I use Canola oil instead of Crisco. This can be made "days" in advance as it gets better as it sits.

2 hours | 2 hours prep

SERVES 3-4

2 (1 lb) packages coleslaw mix

medium onion, chopped

3/8 cup sugar

1 T + 1 t salt

T garlic powder

1/3 cup + 2 t cider vinegar

2/3 cup Crisco cooking oil (I use canola oil)

1.   Bring to boil, cider vinegar, oil, sugar, salt & garlic powder, stirring.

2.   Pour the hot dressing over the 2 lbs of cabbage mixture and onions and stir (It will look like there is not enough dressing for the amount of cabbage, but as the cabbage breaks down, you will have plenty).

3.   Cover tightly.

Let sit on the counter for 2 hours (stirring occasionally during the 2 hours while it marinates), then refrigerate.

Mass Production Cooking

Chef Glen L. Davis II