Mass Production Cooking/couples baby shower for 100 people

Question
I am planning on an open house, couples baby shower for 100 people. I would like to have a variety of gluten free, healthy food and easy to eat while standing around, talking food. I want to have all the food done ahead. I have chafing dishes to keep things warm.
I was thinking of fruit buffet, fresh veggies with dips  beef roast korean style lettuce wraps.  I would have buns for the guys. OR:  fruit buffet, salads and meat balls?  I would like some hardy food for guys.  Any suggestions? This is at our air port hanger, so it is casual. I have a small kitchen, but don't want to be cooking when I guests are there. I want great food and not the basic menu.

Answer
Hi Joan!
Congratulations on the baby shower!

I like the ideas you have so far.  If you made a Korean style beef, it could go on a small roll for the "guys" and lettuce wraps for gluten-free.

It sounds like the majority of your guests are avoiding gluten.  When called for this in my catering company, we'd create a salad bar.  You can have 10-20 different items already cut and prepped into bowls along with lettuce and proteins.  Once you display the ingredients, you're done.  No more cooking!

Along with the salad bar, you could have a "build your own sandwich" station with sliced meats, pre-made protein salads, cheeses, condiments and breads.  You could add romaine leaves to make your own wraps also.

A hearty soup is always a good "make-ahead" dish and appropriate for all.

Otherwise, your challenge is having finger-food or those that don't need a knife and fork.  This is often a challenge in a "stand-up" type event.  The other alternative is to have items that may require a fork, but no knife for cutting.  I like your meatball idea (1-2ounce portions).  How about something on a stick?  Skewered Chicken Sate, marinated in peanut/coconut and grilled can be eaten with one hand.  Similarly, shrimp kabobs can serve that purpose.

If I think of any others, I'll update.  

Mass Production Cooking

Chef Todd Mohr. CCE