Mass Production Cooking/chili for 1000

I am cooking chili for a church dinner.  I need to make 1000 servings as economically as possible.  
What ingredients do I need and how much of each?

This sounds like a recipe question.  There are dozens, if not hundreds, of different types of chili.  Some have beans, some do not.  Some use cinnamon, others use hot peppers.  Some use turkey, some use beef.  Please search the internet for a chili recipe and expand the recipe based on serving yield.

In other words, if your original recipe feeds 10 people and calls for 2 pounds of ground beef, you will need 200 pounds of ground beef.  (1000 people is 100 times 10 people. Thus, 2  pounds of ground beef times 100 equals 200 pounds of ground beef)

If you are serving this many people, you have an awesome responsibility to assure the safety of the food.  Chili is to be cooked to 165F finished internal temperature and kept above 140F during service.  You must assure everyone who prepares the food has washed their hands, and be aware of cross-contamination of knives and cutting boards.

If you find the recipe you want and need help with proportions, I'd be glad to answer your follow-up, but I do not have a recipe for 1000 people.  

Mass Production Cooking

Chef Todd Mohr. CCE

I'd be glad to answer your questions about how basic cooking methods apply equally to cooking for two in your home, or 1000 for an event. Please don't ask me how much to order from the caterer or deli. That's up to them to consult you on. If you are doing the actual cooking, I can help. My expertise is in cooking for more than 100 people. Your questions concerning cooking methods, amount to purchase, portioning, strategies for food service, and food safety for large production are welcomed. There are plenty of recipe websites on the internet. Please don't ask me for recipes. I don't believe in written instructions for cooking anyway. The more information you give while asking your question, the better response I can give. "How do I feed 100 people at my daughter's wedding?" is too broad of a question. "If I plan to offer chicken and beef for 100 people, how much chicken should I purchase?" is a better question. Visit my website at LIKE ChefToddMohr on Facebook Subscribe to ChefToddMohr on YouTube

I'm certified by the American Culinary Federation as a Certified Culinary Educator. I'm currently a Chef Instructor at three different culinary schools in Baltimore, Maryland. Previously an Executive Chef at a large hospital, feeding 3000 people three times daily over 8 different menus. Also a Chef at The National Security Agency in Washington, DC, part of a team feeding 15,000 people twice daily. Then, General Manager/Executive Chef of various Business Dining Cafeterias, feeding thousands daily. My catering company has hosted many large events, feeding up to 1000 people.

American Culinary Federation

Learn to cook like a chef at home in 16 weeks guaranteed. Visit Visit my blog at Subscribe to my latest videos on YouTube. Find ChefToddMohr I am a featured author at Ezine Articles. Search YouTube for "ChefToddMohr" for my sillier side.

Bachelor of Arts, Long Island University Associate of Arts, Baltimore International Culinary College

Certified Culinary Educator (ACF)

My catering company has had many of the nations largest companies as clients.