Mass Production Cooking/catering wedding

Question
Good morning, my fianace and i have decided to cater for our wedding. We are expectig 75-100 people, we are not quite sure what to prepare. Our weddding is from 6-10pm. Around how much shoudl we set back to spend on catering? Is going with chicken cheaper and could feed more? Do you have any suggestions as to what we should provide for our guests?

Answer
Hi Etaya!
I'd love to help you with this question, but it is way too broad.  You are basically asking me, "what should I serve at my wedding and how much will it cost"?.  That's too big a question.

Can you give me an idea of your overall budget?  What service style are you planning? Is it buffet or plate-up?  Are you planning on heavy hors d' oeuvres or a full meal? Who are the guests? Are they mostly men who might eat more, or are there a lot of children?  Are there any allergy or religious restrictions?  Where is the event venue?  Do they have a warming kitchen? Where will the food be prepared and how many hours before the event?

You're going to have to give me a better picture of your wedding so that I can make suggestions.

However, my main suggestion would be NOT to cater your own wedding unless you have some previous experience.  You'll find that hiring a caterer is not much more expensive than doing it yourself once you consider the rental of equipment, time you've spent, and stress over doing it.

Who will serve the food?  Who will clean up? Are you planning to say "I do", then run off to the kitchen and cook in your dress?  Save yourself a lot of stress and hire a professional.

The last bit of advice is that you have an AWESOME responsibility to assure the safety of the food you serve your guests.  If you are not familiar with correct cooking temperatures, hot holding temperatures, cross contamination and personal hygiene of the servers, you have an opportunity to make everyone at your wedding sick.  That wouldn't be good.

Consider a professional, but if you give me a better picture of your day, I can help.  

Mass Production Cooking

Chef Todd Mohr. CCE