Mass Production Cooking/Corn on the Cob

Question
I'm trying to figure out how many servings a full size steam pan that is 4" deep and a half size steam pan that is 2 1/2" deep will hold corn on the cob.  And if we go half ear how many servings.

Answer
Hi Jeremy!
Since steaming is a moist convective cooking process, the steam must make contact with all parts of the item to be cooked.  Because of this, you can't stack or pile ears of corn on top of each other or they will cook unevenly.

That being said, I imagine you can only fit 10 ears of corn in a 2" or 4" deep full steamer pan.

Depending on the type of equipment you have at your disposal, I recommend steaming the ears of corn by adding 1 inch of water to the bottom of the largest stock pot you can get your hands on.  Stand the ears of corn on end and put the lid on.  You should probably fit 15-20 ears on end in a stock pot used as a steamer, more than laying them flat in a steamer pan.

You might also consider wrapping them in tin foil with a little bit of butter or oil and placing them on sheet pans to roast in the oven.  Since they are wrapped in foil, they will steam in their own juices.

You don't say how many people you're feeding, but I think steamer pans may be the most time consuming way of doing this.

Chef Todd Mohr, CCE

Mass Production Cooking

Chef Todd Mohr. CCE