Mass Production Cooking/Spagetti

Question
How many pounds of dried spaghetti need to feed 120 people?
How many pounds of ground beef need for this?
How many 105 ounce cans of spaghetti sauce needed?

Answer
Hi Biondell!

When I prepared for catering events like this, I would estimate 3 ounces of DRY pasta per person, 5 ounces of RAW ground beef and an estimate of 8 fluid ounces of sauce per person.

So, for 120 people, you'll need:
22.5 pounds of pasta
37.5 pounds of ground beef
9.1 cans (105 ounces) of sauce.

Remember, these are estimates based on a typical population. If you are feeding children, I'd estimate downward. If you are feeding Firemen, increase by 10-15%.

Also, you must plan your production methods. How will you cook all this pasta? How will you keep it hot before and during service? Can you assure the cleanliness of the kitchen, wares and personal hygiene of all servers.

Practice safe food handling and you won't make anyone ill.  

Mass Production Cooking

Chef Todd Mohr. CCE