Mass Production Cooking/Hot dogs for 600

Question
What is ideal way to cook hot dogs for 600

Thinking grill space might take too long. Oven?

Answer
Hi Wes!

You are asking the right guy. A few years ago, I was a chef at the National Security Agency and we were holding a 4th of July celebration for 15,000 people!  I had to make 22,000 hot dogs!

Since most people like the grill mark appearance of the "tube steak", but I didn't have enough grill space to cook all those dogs, and the grill just dries things out, I had to think of something else.

So, I quickly marked the franks on a grill and laid them into a deep hotel pan. (Don't forget, hot dogs are already cooked, they're not raw like sausages). Once I had about 200 hotel pans filled, I covered the dogs in beef broth and put them into the commercial steamer to cook in a moist convective fashion. This way, they looked grilled but didn't dry out.

If you don't have a commercial steamer, you can cover the pans in foil and put them in the oven until the broth starts simmering.

Don't forget, you need a way to keep them hot (above 140F) during service, so the franks being covered in beef broth will keep them hot for a long time, whether in a chafing dish or not.

The kicker of this story is that it POURED on July 4th and the event was cancelled! I made pork and beans, pork chili and beanie weenie for the next week. There's not much you can do with 22,000 left over hot dogs. It was a disaster!

Speaking of which, if you're serving hot dogs to 600 people, I'd recommend about 750-800 dogs (depending on their size) because only about 20 - 30% of people will have two, especially if you have side items like potato salad and cole slaw.

Good luck with your event!  

Mass Production Cooking

Chef Todd Mohr. CCE