Mass Production Cooking/Hot holding

Hi Chef,

I cannot seem to find out a list of foods that will do well on hot hold for four hours at 150 F or 67 C without deteriorating in quality.
From one of your posts it seems that roast potatoes will do well in this regard and I was wondering what other foods would do well and the most important factors I have to take on board.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hey Ahmed!
The foods that hold their heat for the longest time are items that have no "air-space" between them. In other words, a lasagna will stay hot much longer than grilled chicken breasts.  Most items in casserole hold hot longest, things in a sauce, pasta dishes, pot pies, creamed chicken, etc.

The second consideration is loss of moisture. Potatoes may hold for a long time, but they dry out if not covered correctly or a small amount of broth is added.

Ultimately, if the food item is "insulated" by something else, it will hold its temperature longer.

Remember, from a food safety standpoint, items should be cooked to 165F (74C) and held hot above 140F (60C). Any leftovers need to be cooled to 40F  (4.5C) within 4 hours.

If you submit your menu for this event, I can give you more specific advice.  

Mass Production Cooking

Chef Todd Mohr. CCE

I'd be glad to answer your questions about how basic cooking methods apply equally to cooking for two in your home, or 1000 for an event. Please don't ask me how much to order from the caterer or deli. That's up to them to consult you on. If you are doing the actual cooking, I can help. My expertise is in cooking for more than 100 people. Your questions concerning cooking methods, amount to purchase, portioning, strategies for food service, and food safety for large production are welcomed. There are plenty of recipe websites on the internet. Please don't ask me for recipes. I don't believe in written instructions for cooking anyway. The more information you give while asking your question, the better response I can give. "How do I feed 100 people at my daughter's wedding?" is too broad of a question. "If I plan to offer chicken and beef for 100 people, how much chicken should I purchase?" is a better question. Visit my website at LIKE ChefToddMohr on Facebook Subscribe to ChefToddMohr on YouTube

I'm certified by the American Culinary Federation as a Certified Culinary Educator. I'm currently a Chef Instructor at three different culinary schools in Baltimore, Maryland. Previously an Executive Chef at a large hospital, feeding 3000 people three times daily over 8 different menus. Also a Chef at The National Security Agency in Washington, DC, part of a team feeding 15,000 people twice daily. Then, General Manager/Executive Chef of various Business Dining Cafeterias, feeding thousands daily. My catering company has hosted many large events, feeding up to 1000 people.

American Culinary Federation

Learn to cook like a chef at home in 16 weeks guaranteed. Visit Visit my blog at Subscribe to my latest videos on YouTube. Find ChefToddMohr I am a featured author at Ezine Articles. Search YouTube for "ChefToddMohr" for my sillier side.

Bachelor of Arts, Long Island University Associate of Arts, Baltimore International Culinary College

Certified Culinary Educator (ACF)

My catering company has had many of the nations largest companies as clients.