Mass Production Cooking/pasta at crab feed

Question
I am doing a crab feed for 125 people my question is how much pasta with sauce should i plan on per person knowing they are also having salad and crab?

Answer
Hey Maureen!

Thank you for the uncomplicated question.

My standard portion when I did catering events like this was 2 ounces of dry pasta per person along with 4 fluid ounces (volume) of sauce.

125 people times 2 ounces of dry pasta equals 15.6 pounds of dry pasta.
4 fl oz times 125 people equals 500 fl oz sauce. 500 divided by 128 ounces in a gallon means you need 3.9 gallons of sauce.

This is a starting point for you to estimate portions. If you're feeding Firemen, increase the portions. If you're feeding children, decrease.

Please be aware of correct cooking temperatures and be sure to hold food above 140F and out of the temperature danger zone. Assure the personal hygiene of all people preparing and serving food.

Good luck with your event.  

Mass Production Cooking

Chef Todd Mohr. CCE