Mass Production Cooking/Rehearsal Dinner

Question
Dear Chef,
I am fixing my nephews rehearsal dinner for his wedding. It's going to be for about 75 people. We have decided to do a taco bar. I am going to fix grilled chicken, taco meat and want to grill flank steak. I am just not sure how much of each I need to buy. We are having rice and black beans to accompany the meat. Thank you.

Answer
Hi Missy!

The way to figure out production amounts for a large party is to arrive at a per-person portion and multiply by the amount of people.

On a taco bar, I'd estimate each person may consume 3 ounces of grilled chicken, 3 ounces of taco meat, and 4 ounces of flank steak.  10 ounces is more than most people can eat, but you'll need over-production because of the multiple choices.

So, 3 ounces times 75 people equals 225 ounces or 14 pounds of chicken or taco meat.  This is the COOKED portion, so add 20% for cooking loss and trim loss. That means about 17 pounds RAW product.

The average person will eat 4 ounces of COOKED beans and rice. Since rice is a 2:1 ratio, being 2 parts liquid to 1 part rice, you'll need 6 pounds of raw rice and 12 pounds of liquid to cook it in, preferably something flavorful like chicken broth.

You can estimate 1-2 ounces of "fixins" for the taco bar like tomatoes, lettuce, jalapenos, etc.
Portion 2 tortillas per person.

Lastly, remember that you have an AWESOME responsibility to assure the safety of this food you'll be serving. It would be horrible to make everyone sick at a wedding. Assure proper cooking temperatures, proper hot-holding and serving temperatures, and be certain of the personal hygiene of everyone preparing or serving the food.

Good luck with your event.

Mass Production Cooking

Chef Todd Mohr. CCE