Massage/Low back and pelvic pain after a massage

Following the previous post regarding low back pain after a massage. My symptoms are different. I always have severe low back and pelvic girdle muscle spasms that affect my ability to walk, bend and even sit for days after a massage. My pain is definitely muscular and does not involve my spine.  Please help if you can :) thank you!!!

Hi Meranda,

Here are my best long-distance thoughts:

Is the practitioner working only on your back?  If the iliopsoas muscles are not also treated, they are being allowed to pull even harder on your back and pelvis.

The iliopsoas muscle unit attaches to your hip bones (pelvis), spine and thigh bones.  

I once saw a massage instructor (not one of mine) go into low back spasm on the massage table because her student worked only on her back and did not treat the "front of the back" which is accessible through the abdomen.  

The iliacus and psoas muscles counter-balance the muscles on the back.  In the case of much low back pain, they need to be treated.  Some practioners know how to treat these muscles, some don't and some choose not to.

The symptoms of a tight iliopsoas feel like lower back pain and an out-of-balance muscular structure of the pelvis can cause pain such as you describe with movement or sitting.

I hope this helps you eliminate the pain you have following massage.

Thank you for writing,

Kathryn Merrow

I can respond to questions about migraines and headaches, carpal tunnel syndrome, hand-wrist-arm pain, upper back pain, and other assorted and miscellaneous pain symptoms. I can also respond to general questions about massage and how to select a massage therapist.

I have been a massage therapist since 1992 specializing primarily in pain relief techniques. I utilize the St. John Method of Neuromuscular Massage Therapy (NMT) and other bodywork modalities. I'm The Pain Relief Coach online.

Professional Member of American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) Nationally Certified in Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCTMB)

My initial training in massage was at Health Enrichment Center in Lapeer, Michigan. I have had advanced training or workshops with Kurashova Institute for Studies in Physical Medicine, St. John Neuromuscular Institute of Pain Relief, Center for Self-Healing and many others. I now share my education and experience as a Massage Instructor and Pain Relief Coach.

The highest honor I receive is when someone tells me that they finally understand why they had pain, that they took action and that their pain is either less or is totally gone.

I have done well over 20,000 therapeutic massage sessions, primarily with clients with various types of pain or painful syndromes.