Massage/When is it safe to massage Gracilis ?

Dear Ms. Merrow,

I've been dealing with a groin strain for a few days. I've heard mixed advise on massaging it. At what point is it safe to massage these muscles ?

I have rested it and iced it to a point where the swelling stopped but now its just a little painful (3 on a scale from 1 - 10).

Are the foam rollers an effective alternative ?

Thank you for your advice.

Hi Steve,

There are experts who advise waiting until the muscle is no longer inflamed (swollen) and a lot of the pain has subsided.

You have iced it.  The swelling is down.  If you can tolerate touch, you may be ready for massage.  Yes, a foam roller will work but so will your hands.  If you sit with your leg in a 'frog leg' position you will be able to access the inner thigh.

I like to go with body wisdom.  If it doesn't feel 'right' don't do it.  If your body says 'this is too soon to touch,' don't do it.

I don't believe in waiting until it's healed and scar tissue has set up.  Keep blood flowing through the area and be thoughtful when moving and massaging your inner thigh/groin.

Thank you for writing and I hope your groin strain will soon be gone.

Kathryn Merrow

I can respond to questions about migraines and headaches, carpal tunnel syndrome, hand-wrist-arm pain, upper back pain, and other assorted and miscellaneous pain symptoms. I can also respond to general questions about massage and how to select a massage therapist.

I have been a massage therapist since 1992 specializing primarily in pain relief techniques. I utilize the St. John Method of Neuromuscular Massage Therapy (NMT) and other bodywork modalities. I'm The Pain Relief Coach online.

Professional Member of American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) Nationally Certified in Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCTMB)

My initial training in massage was at Health Enrichment Center in Lapeer, Michigan. I have had advanced training or workshops with Kurashova Institute for Studies in Physical Medicine, St. John Neuromuscular Institute of Pain Relief, Center for Self-Healing and many others. I now share my education and experience as a Massage Instructor and Pain Relief Coach.

The highest honor I receive is when someone tells me that they finally understand why they had pain, that they took action and that their pain is either less or is totally gone.

I have done well over 20,000 therapeutic massage sessions, primarily with clients with various types of pain or painful syndromes.