Massage/Fatigue after a deep sports massage.

Hello Kathryn, I trust you are well and happy.

I had a triple heart by-pass 12 years ago and still have some problems with regard to Atrial Fibrillation. I am of course on medication which includes Statins.

As you may know Statins can cause muscle tightness and aches which is why I have been having sports massages. I am 70 and still playing Racquetball, but of course that could be causing the muscle tightness? My therapist has told me that my back is full of knots etc and needs a fair amount of work to get some of these tension problems eased.

I have found the treatment to be very beneficial, but a few days after my last treatment I have experienced total fatigue especially  when trying to exercise and Racquetball. Can the fact that I forgot to drink plenty of water in the days after treatment be the cause of the deep fatigue?

Thank you for reading my email.

Warm regards,

David. x

Hello David,

I am well and happy, thank you for asking.  I hope that you are also.

Here are my thoughts:

I am glad you find your massage treatment to be beneficial but I wonder whether your massage therapist is also working on the muscles on the front of your body?  If not, please request it, especially on your pec muscles and biceps/front of arm.  Doing so will allow you to stand more upright and have less muscle tightness in your back.

I am glad that you are active, too.

The fatigue you are concerned about may or may not be related to the massage.  It may be worth mentioning to your doctor when you see her next.  I believe I would.

It may have been caused by (1) a minor illness (2) dehydration (3) something that you ate-- sweets perhaps? (4) something that isn't hitting me at the moment.

When you experience such deep fatigue, that is a clue that your body needs to rest for a while so (in my opinion) don't push it!  :)

Neglecting to drink sufficient water following massage for a day may cause aches that are almost like flu symptoms and possibly dehydration. With your level of activity, you need to be well-hydrated.

I hope this helps.

Take care,

Kathryn Merrow

I can respond to questions about migraines and headaches, carpal tunnel syndrome, hand-wrist-arm pain, upper back pain, and other assorted and miscellaneous pain symptoms. I can also respond to general questions about massage and how to select a massage therapist.

I have been a massage therapist since 1992 specializing primarily in pain relief techniques. I utilize the St. John Method of Neuromuscular Massage Therapy (NMT) and other bodywork modalities. I'm The Pain Relief Coach online.

Professional Member of American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) Nationally Certified in Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCTMB)

My initial training in massage was at Health Enrichment Center in Lapeer, Michigan. I have had advanced training or workshops with Kurashova Institute for Studies in Physical Medicine, St. John Neuromuscular Institute of Pain Relief, Center for Self-Healing and many others. I now share my education and experience as a Massage Instructor and Pain Relief Coach.

The highest honor I receive is when someone tells me that they finally understand why they had pain, that they took action and that their pain is either less or is totally gone.

I have done well over 20,000 therapeutic massage sessions, primarily with clients with various types of pain or painful syndromes.