Massage/anatomy ?'s

I have several questions regarding anatomy. I have a good understanding of human anatomy (constantly referring to my Frank Netter books) but some things confuse me. Do the finger extensors cover the wrist extensors completely? Also if I flex my index finger and middle finger individually (and looking at their tendon movement at the wrist crease) I notice that index finger flexion causes movement more medial than middle finger flexion. Do the tendons cross? Thanks for your help!

Hello Rick,

I'm glad you're having fun exploring!

The flexor digitorum profundis flexes the fingers, and there are separate tendons for each finger - the lateral aspect of it flexes the ring and pinky fingers and the medial aspect flexes the index and middle finger.  The tendons shouldn't cross (but anything is possible) but what comes to mind is that some times the index finger tendon has a separate muscle belly and that may be causing what you are seeing.

Best Wishes!

I can answer questions regarding Swedish and Deep Tissue massage, Musculoskeletal Anatomy, SOAP Charting and documentation, Ethics, Myofascial Release, NeuroMuscular Therapy, Seated Chair Massage, and human anatomy & physiology. I cannot expertly answer questions about Eastern or allied modalities such as Traditional Chinese Medicine, Reflexology, Polarity, Aromatherapy, or Reiki but I may be able to refer you to someone who can.

I have been practicing therapeutic massage and myofascial release for 8 years and have 5 years of experience as an instructor. I have worked in medical, corporate, spa, private, outdoor event, and educational settings.

Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT), Certified NeuroMuscular Therapist (CNMT), Nationally Certified Massage Therapist (NCMT).

Clients who have voluntarily revealed their status can be found at the following links: