Massage/the cope method?

I remember I had come across a website last year which depicted a pain relief technique in which the practitioner would pinch the skin of the patient while pulling gently and perform series of clockwise and counterclockwise rotations. The underlying tissues/fascia would then relax and relief pain. It was might of been called the Cope Method or Cope Technique. Have you ever heard of this and do you know what the official name of the technique is called?

Hi Rick,

I've not heard of this technique by that name but it's a form of myofascial release.  Myo means muscle and fascial refers to the fascia.  Fascia is a connective soft tissue which encases all of the soft tissue (not bone) structures of the body.

If you lift the tissue away from the body and hold it, it will start to soften and relax.  When it has softened, then you can turn it slowly and thoughtfully in one direction.  Again, it will start to stretch and soften.  Then go slowly and thoughtfully in the opposite direction.

A good place to practice (unless there is a reason not to) is on your own abdomen.  You can feel the stretching as it happens and you will get a good idea of the pacing for optimal effect.  The pacing is slow.

Thank you for writing, Rick, and I hope that may help a bit?

Kathryn Merrow

I can respond to questions about migraines and headaches, carpal tunnel syndrome, hand-wrist-arm pain, upper back pain, and other assorted and miscellaneous pain symptoms. I can also respond to general questions about massage and how to select a massage therapist.

I have been a massage therapist since 1992 specializing primarily in pain relief techniques. I utilize the St. John Method of Neuromuscular Massage Therapy (NMT) and other bodywork modalities. I'm The Pain Relief Coach online.

Professional Member of American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) Nationally Certified in Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCTMB)

My initial training in massage was at Health Enrichment Center in Lapeer, Michigan. I have had advanced training or workshops with Kurashova Institute for Studies in Physical Medicine, St. John Neuromuscular Institute of Pain Relief, Center for Self-Healing and many others. I now share my education and experience as a Massage Instructor and Pain Relief Coach.

The highest honor I receive is when someone tells me that they finally understand why they had pain, that they took action and that their pain is either less or is totally gone.

I have done well over 20,000 therapeutic massage sessions, primarily with clients with various types of pain or painful syndromes.