Why do massage therapists, particularly these days do that finger tip touching up and down my arms and legs after massaging them? It feels weird. I nearly pee myself. Also massage therapists always massage my head since I started balding. Do they believe they will reverse my hair loss or something or that it is a defect that needs addressing?

Hi James,

Good questions.  Here are some answers.

Very light finger gliding over the skin is supposed to close the capillaries and stop a histamine response (itching) if the skin has turned red from brisk massage.  However, it's probably done as a 'closing' technique to finish an area.  Or maybe they are 'brushing' the energy to help you relax. It's okay to ask, "Hey, what's that for?"  

I'm guessing that some therapist taught it and the others think it's a good idea so they are doing it, too.  

If you don't like the finger dragging or any other technique, just let the therapist know in advance.  Tell them what you told me:  I don't like the way it feels so please don't drag your fingertips over my skin.  It doesn't hurt our feelings.  In fact, it helps us do a better massage when we know what a client prefers.

And you are paying for the massage so we want you to have a good experience.

Some therapists always massage scalps, hair or not.  Some do very little scalp massage.  Balding is not a defect at all!  But stimulating the blood flow on the head with massage is thought to feed the hair root and possibly increase hair growth.  I don't think you would see any difference with occasional massage.  Again, if you really like it, you can ask for more time spent on your head.  If you don't care for it, say so.

I hope you will enjoy your future massages more.  :)  

Kathryn Merrow

I can respond to questions about migraines and headaches, carpal tunnel syndrome, hand-wrist-arm pain, upper back pain, and other assorted and miscellaneous pain symptoms. I can also respond to general questions about massage and how to select a massage therapist.

I have been a massage therapist since 1992 specializing primarily in pain relief techniques. I utilize the St. John Method of Neuromuscular Massage Therapy (NMT) and other bodywork modalities. I'm The Pain Relief Coach online.

Professional Member of American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) Nationally Certified in Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCTMB)

My initial training in massage was at Health Enrichment Center in Lapeer, Michigan. I have had advanced training or workshops with Kurashova Institute for Studies in Physical Medicine, St. John Neuromuscular Institute of Pain Relief, Center for Self-Healing and many others. I now share my education and experience as a Massage Instructor and Pain Relief Coach.

The highest honor I receive is when someone tells me that they finally understand why they had pain, that they took action and that their pain is either less or is totally gone.

I have done well over 20,000 therapeutic massage sessions, primarily with clients with various types of pain or painful syndromes.