Massage/massage contraindication

I have been trying to find out (apart from the obvious) why metal pins and plates are contraindicated to massage.  Can you elaborate on this issue for me?
Thank you

Malleolus (ankle) with plate and screw
Malleolus (ankle) with  
Hi Julia,
The main reason is for mechanical irritation and even cutting damage that the metal implants cause to the surrounding tissues.  They really are delicate at the metal-tissue junction, and the residual inflammation never really does go away.  
Often, there are heads or tips of screws protruding into soft tissue.  Sometimes this is even done intentionally if ligaments or tendons need to be re-attached; a metal staple may hold the tissue against the bone for the 6 weeks to re-adhere, and not be removed afterward.  

There are often sharp edges (ie. the screw head indentation).  And the bone is often disjunctive, which means that there's a lot of movement at the breakage site.  

Heat and cold are conducted through much faster too.  That can mean that tissue can be damaged by heat and cold much easier.  
When you see pictures of many of these surgeries, you can see the disaster just waiting to happen.  

Glenn, RMT

Glenn Kukkee, HBSc (Psychology), RMT

My unexpected specialty has been correction of disorders caused by working conditions. Who knew that office work could hurt so much and be so damaging? Your back and neck pain is correctable, let's talk about it. I also specialize in post-operative rehabilitation and if I don't know the answer I can at least point you in the right direction. I've been working on pre-medical studies on my way to becoming a doctor and would be happy to take questions about anatomy, physiology and all of that fun stuff too.

Full-time practice since 1993 across Canada
Post-operative rehabilitation and postural correction/persistant chronic overuse rehabilitation specialties

Wikipedia Frequent columnist in various newspapers Alternative and Integrative Medical Society columnist

Massage Therapy education: 2 years (CCMH, Newmarket ON), 1 year (WCCMT, New Westminster BC) Honours Bachelor of Science, Psychology major (Lakehead University, Thunder Bay ON)