Mastering Anger/LEAVE ME ALONE

i was wondering would you please tell me: is it a fact that hot weather makes us be in a bad mood?

if the answer in "yes, it is a fact" would you explain to me why that is?

(P.S would you please try to give your answer in a easy way that I can understand)

Hi, Cameron,

I really believe this question would best be answered by a doctor, who understands the physiology of what happens when we get into hot weather. Be advised that my response is based on my observations and experience as a therapist, and is an "educated guess."

No, I don't think hot weather makes us be in a bad mood.

How we respond to anything depends on a number of factors, including such things as whether we are a pessimist or an optimist, whether we've had enough sleep, whether we function better in cold or in hot climates, whether we carry anger inside of us (and have for quite a while), and how we are used to expressing ourselves (for example, abusively or non-abusively), and our personal choice about how we are going to react in life. Hot weather, if it doesn't agree with us, can SEEM like the "cause", but I would argue that it is merely the "catalyst" for how a person would be behaving under any stressful condition.

Each person has a choice about how s/he reacts to anything. "Hot weather" does not make the choice. But we can make the choice if we decide that "hot weather" drove us to be cranky!

I hope this helps. Thanks for your question.

Please rate this response on the page before you sign off.

Mastering Anger

Ilene L. Dillon, M.S.W.

As a "Recovering Angry Person" and psychotherapist, I have thoroughly explored Anger and its related emotions, hurt, fear, depression and guilt. I'll give a free half-hour of coaching to anyone who can ask me a question I cannot address!

36 years as a family, individual and group psychotherapist. 15 years of teaching for California Probation Officers and Psychotherapists. Author of "Exploring Anger with Your Child" (now "The ABCs of Anger in its updated version). Personal, clinical and group work with anger, including in the parenting arena.

C.A.M.F.T. (California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists) N.S.A. (National Speakers Association) Professional Member since 1984

Magazines: Woman's Day, Personal Excellence, Care Notes Newspapers: Marin Independent Journal, The FAX, San Francisco Chronicle, in-house publications for therapy organizations Books and CDs: Total of 17 published works (

M.S.W. from University of California in Berkeley Two California Licenses: Marriage and Family Therapist and Clinical Social Worker Lifetime Jr. College Instructor License in California Host of Internet radio program (since 2004)Full Power Living, focused on "awakening the world to the power and importance of human emotions"

Write me for a partial list; or look on my web site,