Mastering Anger/LEAVE ME ALONE

Question
i was wondering would you please tell me: is it a fact that hot weather makes us be in a bad mood?

if the answer in "yes, it is a fact" would you explain to me why that is?

(P.S would you please try to give your answer in a easy way that I can understand)
Thanks

Answer
Hi, Cameron,

I really believe this question would best be answered by a doctor, who understands the physiology of what happens when we get into hot weather. Be advised that my response is based on my observations and experience as a therapist, and is an "educated guess."

No, I don't think hot weather makes us be in a bad mood.

How we respond to anything depends on a number of factors, including such things as whether we are a pessimist or an optimist, whether we've had enough sleep, whether we function better in cold or in hot climates, whether we carry anger inside of us (and have for quite a while), and how we are used to expressing ourselves (for example, abusively or non-abusively), and our personal choice about how we are going to react in life. Hot weather, if it doesn't agree with us, can SEEM like the "cause", but I would argue that it is merely the "catalyst" for how a person would be behaving under any stressful condition.

Each person has a choice about how s/he reacts to anything. "Hot weather" does not make the choice. But we can make the choice if we decide that "hot weather" drove us to be cranky!

I hope this helps. Thanks for your question.

Please rate this response on the page before you sign off.

Ilene  

Mastering Anger

Ilene L. Dillon, M.S.W.