Masturbation/A case of nymphomania?

Question
QUESTION: Earlier this year(April 10, 2012), I was watching a show on MTV called "True Life", a show about real people in difficult situations in life, and there was this one episode I saw called "True Life; I'm addicted to sex" and one of the episodes was about this girl(I won't use her first name even though that's all they showed of her name)who claimed that she craved lots and lots of sex w/ her boyfriend as much as, and I'm not making this up, 20 to 30 times a day, and while watching and listening to this, the situation got so bad that it was interfering w/ their everyday lives so much to the point where the boyfriend almost broke up w/ her because the girl was craving that much sex so many times a day and it didn't seem to matter that the boyfriend got too physically tired from all that sex so many times a day. Would this definately be a case of nymphomania since this girl was craving sex 20 to 30 times a day?

ANSWER: Yes, I think she could get a diagnosis of nymphomania if she wanted one.  She didn't seem to have too much on the ball.  She wasn't too particular about her partner either.  I think a psychologist would want to take a close look at her entire self before making a diagnosis.  She might get diagnosed with a whole bunch of underlying problems that are contributing to the excessive sexual desire.

I don't know why you wouldn't use her name since she used it on TV.

Feel free to ask me more questions.  I'm always happy to answer your questions.

QUESTION: I forgot to mention another thing I heard in the show in which this girl, I'll go ahead and use the first name, Britney(age 20)said that when she was 11 years old she had been raped by some guy(she didn't say who it was)and when I heard this I immediately thought that perhaps this was a contributing factor to what she was going through. With that in mind, could childhood sexual abuse cause a person to have sexual addictions in adulthood?

Answer
This is a complicated subject, and it is not something I'm an expert in.  In looking at a particular person, a doctor would want to examine everything about the person's sexual history that could be relevant to a current dysfunction.  In that case, Brittany's rape could have something to do with her being sexually compulsive.

On the other hand, looking at statistics, most women who are raped do not become sexually compulsive, and most sexually compulsive women have not been raped.

Feel free to ask me more questions.

Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.