Masturbation/Addiction to masturbation

Sir, I am a 16 year old male and I have been masturbating for the past 4 years. However since one year or so, I have found myself overly addicted to masturbation to the extent that I do it twice or thrice per day. I am concerned about this addiction as this has become a distraction to me. Please do tell me how often is it advisable to do it. Also kindly do tell me about the ill effects of this addiction.

Masturbating twice or even thrice daily is more typical of a 13 or 14 year old than a male your age.  That doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong, only that most guys your age masturbate about once a day, or maybe 9 or 10 times a week.  It is not necessarily an addiction.  Often it is just what guys do.  If it really bothers you, then consider cutting down to once a day.  No male would say that's too often.

Doug Adams, Ph.D.

I write from the point of view that masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary to sexual health. I am able to answer questions in all areas of sexuality.

I am the author of the web site and have been answering questions about sexuality (especially masturbation) from both males and females for over 13 years.

I have a Ph.D. in a field unrelated to sexuality from one of the leading educational institutions in the world.