Masturbation/Bleeding after Masturbation

Question
Hi! I'm 16 years old and I have been sexually active since I was 14 with a long time boyfriend. Recently, we broke up, so I've been masturbating more often since I'm not having sex. Last night, I had a huge urge to use an object to masturbate with, since I never really have before. I grabbed the smoothest thing I could find, a tube of a hair product, and sanitized it. I felt although I had reached an orgasm, but then I looked down and saw blood. It wasn't a small amount either.. It looked significant. It didn't hurt at all but I did feel a bit of a tingling sensation when I realized that I was bleeding. I cleaned up and put a tampon in for the night. I haven't been bleeding too much since. I wonder if this could have anything to do with my period? In due for it any day now and I was wondering if the 4/5 inch penetration could have made it begin to come? It didn't really seem like it though, since it was thin blood and a lot of it at once. Ive read a lot about possibly cutting my vaginal wall, but I wasn't sure because the object was smooth! I have a GYN appt in feb, but I wanted to know more from others before bringing it up. Thank you!

Answer
I would advise against masturbating with a tube.  They can have sharp corners.  When you're in the middle of an orgasm or close to it, you might not be aware of pain in your genital area.  If you're not going to use your hands, I recommend finding something smooth.  

If it is menstrual bleeding, you have nothing to worry about, but it is certainly odd timing if it is.  

Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.