Masturbation/Sexual frustration & repression.

Question
I read the story/question from back on January 12, 2013 where that 21 year old female wrote about a female vagina phobia and I know phobias are bad enough by themselves but I was also very disturbed when she said that her parents didn't let her masturbate when she was in high school and when I read her story about not being allowed to masturbate during her high school years the thing I suspected(because I obviously wouldn't have 100% solid proof of this)was that maybe her parents might've been a couple of religious fanatics who view masturbation and anything else about sexuality to be sinful and therefore probably made their daughter feel guilty and shameful about exploring her body sexually and another thing I thought of from reading this is I also suspected that she might've been punished for masturbating. I feel that this woman's parents should be ashamed of themselves for not letting their daughter masturbate because I think, and I'm probably not the only one who feels this way, that the teenage years, and younger, are the most important years of a person's life with regards to exploring one's sexuality and figuring out what one's sexual orientation is as well as figuring out what possible sexual fetishes a person might or might not have. So I couldn't help but wonder since this woman wasn't allowed to masturbate; How is she then supposed to know what feels good to her and who she's attracted to? I guess my question is; How bad do you think the sexual frustration and repression would be if a young person was deliberately kept from masturbating at all during their high school years and earlier years as well?

Answer
Thanks for reading my answers to other readers.  I did advise that woman to seek professional help for having a fear of her own body.  She didn't say why her parents discouraged her from masturbating or how they would enforce such a prohibition, so I think it's unfair to attribute motives to them.  I think your questions are basically moot, because the parental restrictions only had any meaning if the girl chose to accept them.  So the real problem is with her own attitude toward her body and sexuality, which is why I suggested professional help.

I don't think not being able to masturbate would be so bad for someone who's never had it; but again, the parents have no way of enforcing their preference, and masturbating is usually done in private anyway.

Please continue asking me questions!

Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.