Masturbation/Masturbation and Hormonal Imbalance

Does Masturbation lead to any kind of Hormonal Imbalance? I am 19 and I have been masturbating since many years. I have a mild elevation in Prolactin. Could this be due to masturbation? Thanks.

No.  Masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary for male sexual health.  It does not cause any problem with your hormones.  All men your age masturbate and most of them started six or more years ago.  Your doctor knows this and knows that it does not affect your hormones.

Don't be embarrassed to tell the doctor that you masturbate.  The doctor masturbates too.

Feel free to ask me more questions!

Doug Adams, Ph.D.

I write from the point of view that masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary to sexual health. I am able to answer questions in all areas of sexuality.

I am the author of the web site and have been answering questions about sexuality (especially masturbation) from both males and females for over 13 years.

I have a Ph.D. in a field unrelated to sexuality from one of the leading educational institutions in the world.