Masturbation/masturbating

Question
Hello, I really enjoy masturbating but I worry that it will make me not as effective at basketball.  Will masturbation harm my athletic performance?

Answer
Masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary for male sexual health.  All adult males do it and nearly all males past puberty.  This includes sports stars and casual basketball players.  Some of the greatest athletes in history were sexually compulsive.  I have asked this question in a survey before (pertaining to weightlifting), and overwhelmingly males believed that masturbation does not harm their athletic ability.  About 20 percent of males thought that it did.

You should continue to enjoy masturbating and not worry that it will make you less effective at basketball.  Anyway, basketball season is almost over, so maybe you can study this subject during the off season.

Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.