Hi there,
How much masturbation is too much? Is 2-3 times per day ok?

Also, I am about to move in with my girlfriend. What is the deal when it comes to masturbating within a long term relationship? Obviously, we'll be sharing a bed and having more sex than we ever have before, so may not feel such a desire to masturbate. However, when I work away for instance or if I'm home alone, I may want to pleasure myself. Is this acceptable in a long term relationship and is it any different when it comes to marriage.

Masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary for male sexual health.  You're doing it too much when it starts to hurt.  2-3 times a day is a high frequency.  Most younger males masturbate about once a day.  It might be when you're living with your girlfriend, you will hardly ever masturbate.  It is normal to masturbate when your partner is sexually unavailable.

Doug Adams, Ph.D.

I write from the point of view that masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary to sexual health. I am able to answer questions in all areas of sexuality.

I am the author of the web site and have been answering questions about sexuality (especially masturbation) from both males and females for over 13 years.

I have a Ph.D. in a field unrelated to sexuality from one of the leading educational institutions in the world.