Masturbation/Masturbation and Male Pelvic Floor

QUESTION: I have a concern about masturbation/sex which I would like some advice about. Iíve heard that if you perch or sit on the edge of a couch or chair and masturbate/have sex that you can damage your pelvic floor muscles, because they get stretched by the position youíre sitting in and then at the point of orgasm they get damaged because of the contractions the muscles go through. Have you ever heard of this happening and is it true? Many thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

ANSWER: I have never heard of that but I can understand how sitting in an awkward spot putting pressure on your perineum would be bad for you sexually.  Many modern bicycle seats are horribly designed in terms of male genital function.  Some of them put unneeded and painful pressure directly on the root of the penis.

I don't think the problem would be about contraction of muscles as much as it would be pressure on the perineum, where important nerves and blood vessels run, and also the muscles that serve the region.

QUESTION: Thank you for your reply, although do you think that sitting forward on a couch or sofa is awkward though. I would have thought this was quite a common position for masturbation and other sexual activities?

I don't think sitting forward from a normal position is going to hurt anything.  You want to avoid a position where your perineum is constrained.  That is what I meant.  A position that puts too much pressure on the perineum, the space between the scrotum and the anus.  That is a sexually delicate area.

Doug Adams, Ph.D.

I write from the point of view that masturbation is normal, healthy, and fun, and even necessary to sexual health. I am able to answer questions in all areas of sexuality.

I am the author of the web site and have been answering questions about sexuality (especially masturbation) from both males and females for over 13 years.

I have a Ph.D. in a field unrelated to sexuality from one of the leading educational institutions in the world.