Masturbation/Porn

Question
What is your opinion of pornography? I am a woman who happens to really enjoy watching porn. Nothing outside of the norm, although on occasion I will rent something just out of curiosity (eg, a gay male porno) even though it may not necessarily turn me on. I have heard a lot of negative things about porn. For instance that it is harmful, addictive exploitative, demeaning to women, damaging to relationships, leads to unrealistic expectations etc. Also, a lot of people(my boyfriend included!) think it's strange that I love porn, I guess because I am a female. And I'm not into the soft core stuff either, I like hard core porn (nothing left up to the imagination). I will take a porno over a love story or romance novel any day. Is that unusual? Unhealthy? I grew up in a household where I was taught that sex was dirty and sinful, and that girls/women in particular who enjoyed sex (outside of the context of marriage and procreation) were sluts, and men would look down on them and not want to marry them. Once I was caught touching myself, and I was shamed and punished for it. I have had a difficult time getting past all that and just enjoying myself sexually, and porn has helped a lot. It's taught me a lot about my body and sexuality, introducing me to new erotic possibilities. There are things (i.e. spanking and dirty talk) that I would never have known I liked and found pleasurable if not for pornography. So I think there are some positive things about it to, even though there is still a stigma attached to porn. What are your thoughts? Thank you.

Answer
I am OK with porn only when the it is simple nudity (no sex acts) and the models in them appear voluntarily, are of legal age, and are compensated.  I know that most consumers of porn like to see those sex acts.  I also urge my younger readers to avoid using porn every time.  It is a good thing to be able to reach orgasm a few times a month using only one's imagination.

Masturbation

Doug Adams, Ph.D.