Math for Kids/Why is - x + = - and - x - = +

Hi there sir. How are you? I would like to know - why is a negative times a positive a negative and why is a negative times a negative a positive? Is there a nice concise proof for this or is it just a mathematical law and just is so. Thank you for reading.

Hello, Aubreyepain.

I'm sorry for the delay in responding.

A negative number times a negative equaling a positive number can (and a negative times a positive equaling a negative) is determined to be a convenient mathematical convention.

Let's begin with a negative times a negative equaling a positive number.

What is -3 x -3? The answer is 9, but why?

First, we can write (again, based on an agreed-upon convention), that -3 = -1(3). (This is sort of like arguing in a circle, because I'm taking it for granted that -1 x 3 = -3, but the reason for that is to be shown in a second.)

3(-1) x 3(-1) = ?

(-1)(-1)(3)(3) = ?

(-1)(-1)(9) = ?

-1 x -1 has been decided to be equal to 1, for the reason that the distributive property for multiplication wouldn't work otherwise.

Example: -1(-1 + 1) = (-1)(-1) + (-1)(1)

-1(0) = (-1)(-1) - 1

If (-1)(-1) = -1, then (-1)(0) = -1 - 1, or 0 = -2. This is clearly false, so (-1)(-1) must be equal to +1.

If it is, then -1(0) = 1-1, or 0=0, which, of course, is true.

The same reasoning can be applied to the question of why a negative times a positive equals a negative.

I hope that this helps.

Math for Kids

John Zalewski

I can help you solve problems involving fractions, decimals, ratios, and algebra. I can teach you how to do math faster, and even in your head. I can teach math definitions, and help you study, if necessary. Please do not ask any graphing, trigonometry, or calculus questions. Try to work through homework questions before asking for assistance.

Math class, yeah!