Math and Science Solutions for Businesses/using excel for a specific function

Question
If I have two specific non-changing numbers and a total amount but don't know how the two numbers came to get that total (I don't know the equation that was used to get the total) is there a formula in excel that will provide me with the equation?  Or some other spreadsheet perhaps that will provide me with the proper equation used between the two numbers to get the specific total?

Answer
JoDee,

The short answer is no, but there may be hope. It sounds like the situation can be described as

f(x,y) = z

where x, y and z are known but f isn't. The function f could be a lot of things (e.g., z = x^2/y). The easiest form for f would be something like

ax + bx = z

where and and b need to be specified (they don't have to be integers). This can be done if any other information is available that relates any of x to y, x to z or y to z. Perhaps if you could tell me the context of your problem we could figure something out. There isn't a "magic" function in Excel to back out f.

Randy

Math and Science Solutions for Businesses

Randy Patton