Math and Science Solutions for Businesses/BUSINESS MATHEMATICS AND STATISTICS

Can you elaborate further on this question as this is an assignment topic and you have solved it for some one else.I have pasted the question and the link where you have answered the question.

1- A chartered accountant applies for a job in two firms X and Y. He estimates that the probability of his being selected in firm X is 0.7 and beig rejected in Y is 0.5 and the probability that atleast one of his applications rejected is 0.6. What is the probability that he will be selected in one of the firms?

2-In a factory turning out razor blade, there is a small chance of 1/500 for any blade to be defective. The blades are supplied in a packet of 10. Use Poisson distribution to calculate the approximate number of packets containing blades with no defective, one defective, two defectives and three defectives blades in a consignment of 10,000 packets.

Appreciate your help.

I'd be happy to elaborate on these questions and answers. Can you be a little more specific? For instance, is there a part of the answer that you don't understand or for which you would like more background. I recommend that you look at a good probability and statistics book or website to at least have access to the axioms and the associated algebra. I could then run through it with you.

Math and Science Solutions for Businesses

Randy Patton

Questions regarding application of mathematical techniques and knowledge of physics and engineering principles to product and services design, optimization, prediction, feasibility and implementation. Examples include sales and product performance projections based on math/physics models in addition to standard regression; practical and cost effective sensor design and component configuration; optimal resource allocation using common tools (eg., MS Office); advanced data analysis techniques and implementation; simulation and "what if" analysis; and innovative applications of remote sensing.

26 years as professional physical scientist and project manager for elite research company providing academic quality basic and applied research for government and defense industry clients (currently retired). Projects I have been involved in include: - Notional sensor performance predictions for detecting underwater phenomena - Designing and testing guidance algorithms for multi-component system - Statistical analysis of ship tracking data and development of anomaly detector - Deployed vibration sensors in Arctic ice floes; analysis of data - Developed and tested ocean optical instrument to measure particles - Field testing of protoype sonar system - Analysis of synthetic aperture radar system data for ocean surface measurements - Redesigned dust shelters for greeters at Burning Man Festival Project management with responsibility for allocation and monitoriing of staff and equipment resources.

“A Numerical Model for Low-Frequency Equatorial Dynamics” (with Mark A. Cane), J. of Phys. Oceanogr., 14, No. 12, pp. 18531863, December 1984.

MIT, MS Physical Oceanography, 1981 UC Berkeley, BS Applied Math, 1976

Am also an Expert in Advanced Math and Oceanography