Math and Science Solutions for Businesses/expansion of sample

Question
Hi Randy:

I am working on an audit engagement and encountered the following scenario.
1 of my sample of 25 in a population of 250 has a deviation from the expected behavior.My sample was selected with 0 deviations expected. Our firm guidance says the sample should be expanded by 15 to 40 to evaluate the control as effective. In other words, 1 error out of 40 appear to be acceptable. It also suggests 2 errors out of 60 samples is acceptable to conclude control is effective. I am trying to understand the underlying concept and rationale. The confidence interval is 90 percent. I would appreciate if you could explain the inputs/rationale that is driving these numbers. Thanks a lot

Answer
Hi Mark, Here's what I think is going on.

Recommending a sample size of 40 from an original size of 25 in order to achieve a confidence interval of 90 percent involves a so-called z-score

z90 = ∆p/{p(1-p)/n}^1/2 = 1.645

where

1.645 = value of z-score (= number of standard deviations) that gives a one-sided probability of 95% of values less than z
        - this z-score gives a 2-sided (central) probability of 90%, as desired
        - this assumes the population distribution of defects is close to normal, which is not a bad assumption in this case
        - this statistic is used all the time

p = probability of a sample being defective
        - your question states that errors (defects?) of 1-out-of-40, or 1/40 = 0.025, is OK, so I'll take p = 0.025

∆p = deviation of measured probability from expected probability
        - here, I assume the measured probability is the one from your first sampling, p = 1/25 = 0.04.
         - I'm not sure this is strictly kosher since the the expected number of deviations is so small (i.e., 1), but whatever
        - your question says that the expected number of deviations = 0, therefore ∆p = 0.04
         - I'm not sure an expected value of precisely 0 is legal but I suppose assuming it is << 0.04 works

{p(1-p)/n}^1/2 = standard deviation of estimate of p
        - from assuming a binomial distribution with mean = p

n = number of elements in the sample (sample size)

The goal here is to use the z90 eq to specify a sample size to achieve the 90% level. So, rearranging

n = (z90/∆p)^2・p(1-p)

= (1.645/0.04)^2・(0.025)・(0.975) = 41.2 ~ 40.

So this is probably where the sample size of 40 comes from, although using p = 1/40 and then solving for n = 40 is a little disconcerting.

Your question also states that 2-out-of-60 errors are also acceptable. If we try to calculate p by assuming a binomial distribution and setting probability of 2-out-0f-60, P(2|60), equal to the probability of 1-out-of-40, P(1|40) ,then we get

P(1|40) = {40!/(39!1!)}・p(1-p)^39 = probability of getting 1 error in 40 samples for given p

P(2|60) = {60!/(58!2!)・p^2・(1-p)^58 = probability of getting 2 errors out of 60 samples.

Setting these equal to each other gives

(40)・p(1-p)^39 = (1770)・p^2・(1-p)^58

40/1770 = p・(1-p)^19

ln(40/1770) - lnp = 19・ln(1-p)

This is an implicit equation for p which has to be "solved" graphically by looking at the intersection of the left and right hand sides. This, unfortunately, does not give a clear result: the 2 curves approach each other near 0.05 but do not cross at a well defined point => inconclusive. So I'm not sure where this information fits in. If you can get some information from your "firm guidance" regarding this, please pass it on.

Hope this helps.

Math and Science Solutions for Businesses

Randy Patton