Math and Science Solutions for Businesses/Forest Inventory (species and wood volume)

Question
Hello Randy

On a forest parcel I want to randomly add a number of points which will be center points of sample plots, for the purpose of estimating counts of tree species and wood volume for the entire parcel.  To accomplish this a grid will be placed over an aerial photo, numbers assigned to the grid cells, and cells will be selected by a random number generator.

However I am told that plots determined randomly have a tendency to cluster; this would skew the estimation of the entire parcel.  Every segment of the forest should have an equal chance to be sampled.

I would like to know if there is a method to prevent this clustering, rather than arbitrarily reassigning the points by hand according to what looks right visually. Is there a mathematical method or available software to determine whether there is clustering and to prevent it before the fact, or for correcting it afterwards?  

Any help or guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pete

Answer
I looked into this a little bit and didn't find any mention of a tendency to cluster in the "stratified level" sampling method you plan to use.

The basic goal in the sampling is to pick the plots large enough so that the mean of the variables you're measuring (species, wood volume) is reasonably homogeneous, which is to say that the means calculated within the different plots are reasonably close to each other and to the overall mean of the forest tract. This plot size would be tricky to obtain a priori since you need to specify the plot sizes before making any measurements, other than just an overall visual impression from remote sensing.

I don't see how, after chopping up the forest tract into these large-enough plots, you would run into trouble if you just randomly chose a subset of these plots, within which to make your detailed measurements.

Let me know if you have a particular reference regarding the clustering bias problem and I will try to help you interpret it and find a solution.

Math and Science Solutions for Businesses

Randy Patton