Math and Science Solutions for Businesses/graph chart

QUESTION: Hi. I'm not a student with a homework question. Just trying to figure out how to create a chart representing a very simple sales period, from the Pages chart in my iMac. If you refer to the attached sample, I just want to translate the bottom chart into a graph such as the one above it. Also I don't understand how to input numbers. If you could just help me get started I would appreciate it. Thanks.

AE chart
AE chart  
ANSWER: Hey David,

I think what you are asking is pretty simple to do. The chart you want is called a column chart. I've attached a screen shot of the one I created with your numbers. To create it, I used the following steps (I think I'm running an ancient Word Excel 2011  version, so I hope the steps are reasonably similar to what you need to do):

- On a blank Excel page, enter the months in one column and the numbers in a 2nd column

- Select these entries using either the mouse/trackpad or shift key+arrow keys (they will be highlighted in blue)

- Hit Insert in the Toolbar at the top of the page
--> in the drop down menu choose Chart

- a "Gallery" of chart types will appear; choose Column

- at this point, my version immediately produces the chart shown in the attached .png file

If you didn't select the entries before creating the chart, you'll have to hit Chart in the toolbar and then hit Source Data in the drop down menu
- it will then show a window that allows you to select the cell numbers for the x and y axes (eg., A3-A7, B3-B7). This is a little more tricky so fl you get this far, let me know and I'll help guide you through it.

I hope this is what you wanted. If not, just ask again.

QUESTION: Thanks. The only thing is, I'm working with Mac and I don't have Word Excel on it. Mac has something called "Pages" which contains various chart and graphing options. But they don't visually match your example. Do you possibly have "Pages?"

Pages chart
Pages chart  
I just discovered that I do have Pages on my Macbook Pro!

to make the chart (see attached) I just opened a blank document, chose Chart from the toolbar, hit "edit chart", deleted the placeholder numbers already there and enter your data. Really easy. Hope this helps.

Math and Science Solutions for Businesses

Randy Patton

Questions regarding application of mathematical techniques and knowledge of physics and engineering principles to product and services design, optimization, prediction, feasibility and implementation. Examples include sales and product performance projections based on math/physics models in addition to standard regression; practical and cost effective sensor design and component configuration; optimal resource allocation using common tools (eg., MS Office); advanced data analysis techniques and implementation; simulation and "what if" analysis; and innovative applications of remote sensing.

26 years as professional physical scientist and project manager for elite research company providing academic quality basic and applied research for government and defense industry clients (currently retired). Projects I have been involved in include: - Notional sensor performance predictions for detecting underwater phenomena - Designing and testing guidance algorithms for multi-component system - Statistical analysis of ship tracking data and development of anomaly detector - Deployed vibration sensors in Arctic ice floes; analysis of data - Developed and tested ocean optical instrument to measure particles - Field testing of protoype sonar system - Analysis of synthetic aperture radar system data for ocean surface measurements - Redesigned dust shelters for greeters at Burning Man Festival Project management with responsibility for allocation and monitoriing of staff and equipment resources.

“A Numerical Model for Low-Frequency Equatorial Dynamics” (with Mark A. Cane), J. of Phys. Oceanogr., 14, No. 12, pp. 18531863, December 1984.

MIT, MS Physical Oceanography, 1981 UC Berkeley, BS Applied Math, 1976

Am also an Expert in Advanced Math and Oceanography