Mechanical Engineering/Compressed air power.

Hi, I'm not sure if you are the right person for this but maybe you might know to whom it may be addressed to.

I wanted to know how to figure out: If you have 330PSI of air pressure exiting a 1/4" nozzle could it turn a 24" flywheel if it requires at least 4 lbs. of torque to turn the flywheel. The flywheel has 1/2" diameter concave cups on the circumference every 3/4" around the edges. What kind of difference would a smaller/larger diameter nozzle make, 3/8", 3/4", etc. At the 330psi how do you figure out (1/4" nozzle)the speed or velocity of the air leaving the nozzle at, say 1" distance.

Thanks for your time

I hope that this answers your question.  Please advise if it does not.

Follow the link attached and note that this is based on a 100% coefficient:

If you are pumping through different styles of orifice it changes the discharge significantly.  Depending on the style of the nozzle you will need to take the adjustments into account.  

Mechanical Engineering

Michael Aschenbrener

I can answer most questions on pumping applications, setups and systems. Repairs and chemical compatibility. Reading pump curves and friction loss calculations.

I work as a process pump application specialist. I also work in a million dollar per year pump shop repairing everything from centrifugal pumps, grinder pumps, self primers and AODD pumps.

MI process pumps and equipment online development and training. On the job training in both application design and pump repair. Online eaton hydraulics institute. Baldor/Dodge/Reliance training program.