Mechanical Engineering/Compressed air power.

Question
Hi, I'm not sure if you are the right person for this but maybe you might know to whom it may be addressed to.

I wanted to know how to figure out: If you have 330PSI of air pressure exiting a 1/4" nozzle could it turn a 24" flywheel if it requires at least 4 lbs. of torque to turn the flywheel. The flywheel has 1/2" diameter concave cups on the circumference every 3/4" around the edges. What kind of difference would a smaller/larger diameter nozzle make, 3/8", 3/4", etc. At the 330psi how do you figure out (1/4" nozzle)the speed or velocity of the air leaving the nozzle at, say 1" distance.

Thanks for your time

Answer
I hope that this answers your question.  Please advise if it does not.

Follow the link attached and note that this is based on a 100% coefficient:
http://www.aceair.com/PDF/LeakChart.pdf

If you are pumping through different styles of orifice it changes the discharge significantly.  Depending on the style of the nozzle you will need to take the adjustments into account.  

Mechanical Engineering

Michael Aschenbrener