Mechanical Engineering/Can you use an ISO metric M10x1 threaded bolt with an ISO metric M10x1 tap?

Dear Sir,

First of all, thank you for reading this.

I have been using CATIA for quite a while but haven't touch thread and tap part much.

Right now i am really confused. Can you please confirm my understanding?

What i believe is correct so far is that if in CATIA (and in real life, in general) you have a thread and a tap that has the same thread diameter and pitch, then they will fit together. Is this correct?

If this is true, then if i have a tap with 12mm thread diameter with 1mm pitch, a 12mm thread diameter with 1mm pitch bolt will fit into it?

Then this means the same designation thread and tap fit together? For example, M10x1 thread can be used with a M10x1 tap?

Thank you for sharing your CATIA and engineering expertise knowledge!

Hi There

Your question has nothing to do with CATIA per-say, the tap makes the thread, the M10x1 tap will make M10x1 thread if the drilled hole is correct, go to:
for correct drill sizes.

good luck

Mechanical Engineering

Aroosh Shahbazian

I`m able to answer to questions regarding CATIA designing software, (detail parts and assemblies), designing tips and methods, able to solve manufacturing problems, creating a long term plan to make any working operation more efficient than it is, cosmos FEA.

I have programmed and have designed auto and aircraft parts for various companies (inside and outside of the United States) since 1990, been working in aerospace industry since 1997 as mechanical engineer and ENG. MGR.

Masters in Mechanical Eng. (solid designing)