Mechanical Engineering/Concentric Giant Wheel Design

Giant Wheel
Giant Wheel  

Concentric Circles
Concentric Circles  
Dear Michael

Concentric objects share the same center, axis or origin. Circles, tubes, cylindrical shafts, disks, and spheres may be concentric to one another.

Is it possible to construct or manufacture Concentric Giant Wheels ?

Pros : More Sitting Capacity for Riders on the Concentric Giant Wheel as riders can also sit on the chairs of the inner circles of the Concentric Giant Wheel.

Cons : Engineering Challenges for Construction, Additional Cost.

Can there can be complexities for constructing a Concentric Giant Wheel ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

It would be possible to construct such a machine... It's complexities depend on the scope of the project though.  If you have all of the wheels tied together with one rotation speed, the outside would be moving slowly and the inside would be spinning very quickly.  If you were wanting to rotate them at different speeds you would be looking at serious mechanical issues.  I am not sure how exactly to go further with the information provided.  Is the purpose of this to build a 'ferris wheel' that has more than one 'level' of riders?

Let me know. Thanks!

Mechanical Engineering

Michael Aschenbrener

I can answer most questions on pumping applications, setups and systems. Repairs and chemical compatibility. Reading pump curves and friction loss calculations.

I work as a process pump application specialist. I also work in a million dollar per year pump shop repairing everything from centrifugal pumps, grinder pumps, self primers and AODD pumps.

MI process pumps and equipment online development and training. On the job training in both application design and pump repair. Online eaton hydraulics institute. Baldor/Dodge/Reliance training program.