Mechanical Engineering/Movement/rotation of parts

Movement of two parts
Movement of two parts  
QUESTION: Hello Mr Shahbazian,

I have a problem and I am not sure if it falls inside your area, but I thought it might come under the heading of manufacturing problems, as it involves the automated and repeated interaction between two moving parts.
I am working on a project that involves moving parts coming into contact with each other. I am still in the design phase, and I am trying to imagine how two parts will interact and move each other. I am just wondering if I could ask for your expert advice on whether I have reasoned the movement correctly.
As you can see in the attached image, I have one part suspended on a fixed metal axle. This part, Part 1, is able to rotate on the axle and is made of friction-resistant plastic. Part 2 sits below Part 1 and is able to be raised and lowered (probably made of copper). Other than that, all the parts should not really be able to move in any other direction.

I am wondering what will happen to Part 1 when I raise Part 2. Do you think Part 2 would push Part 1 into the position I have shown in the drawings? What would you say is the likely outcome?

I have thought about it a lot and I am not able to completely understand how the parts will move in this situation - whether Part 1 could be rotated, so I really need someone to tell me if I am on the right track. Your comment would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you kindly and best regards,

ANSWER: Hi Eddie

Based on the information I have, I don't think Part 1 will rotate the way you've shown, instead it will create some sideways force.
I think you need to change your design, make sure the first contact point stays the same, per your design the part 1 will push the part 2 to its right as soon as part 2 makes a contact.
perhaps if you could split part 2 to two pieces and put a spring between them allowing it to open-up when they make contact, should make part 1 to rotate the way you wanted.
If you cannot split the part 2, give it a freedom to move sideways, and make the part 2 right side little longer allowing part 1 to rotate "also" around the first contact point.

good luck

Movement of two parts
Movement of two parts  
QUESTION: Hello Mr Shahbazian,

Thank you very much for your earlier answer. I have been thinking about how to alter my design in line with what you told me about splitting part 2 into two pieces that can open-up when they make contact with part 1, in order to make part 1 to rotate the way I want.
I have redesigned Part 2 in line with your suggestion so that it can move sideways in response to the sideways pressure exerted by Part 1 when it comes into contact with Part 2. I have illustrated this process in the attached image. Have I understood the process correctly? Would the contact point between Part 1 and Part 2 stay the same if the components of Part 2 moves sideways in the way shown? (Part 2 has two components that move away from each other, rather than just the one part on the right that actually touches Part 1. This is because I need to perform this action when Part 1 is at two different orientations - with the curved underside to the bottom left, as shown in the image, and also with the curved underside on the bottom right as well.)

I am not really sure where the best contact point on Part 1 for Part 2 to touch would be. In the image, I have numbered the lower horizontal surface of Part 1 where the potential contact points are, can you tell me what number you would recommend as the best contact point between Part 1 and Part 2?

Sorry if I have not explained myself clearly, thank you again for your answer, it was a great help to me.

Best regards,

Hi Eddie

I can tell that you understood it very well, even though the illustration is not exactly correct, but you've got the idea.
As far as the contact point, it all depends how much linear travel you may give to part1 and how fast you want to turn the red part, any point between point No6 and up will do the job, closer to No6 faster the rotation + less linear movement for part1, closer to No10 slower the rotation and more linear movement for part1.
I don't know what this part is for, but if this movement should repeat, you may need to put a spring between the yellow parts to bring them to their original state, with a stop to repeat the same way.

Good Luck

Mechanical Engineering

Aroosh Shahbazian

I`m able to answer to questions regarding CATIA designing software, (detail parts and assemblies), designing tips and methods, able to solve manufacturing problems, creating a long term plan to make any working operation more efficient than it is, cosmos FEA.

I have programmed and have designed auto and aircraft parts for various companies (inside and outside of the United States) since 1990, been working in aerospace industry since 1997 as mechanical engineer and ENG. MGR.

Masters in Mechanical Eng. (solid designing)